Commercial Lines

Commercial auto lines of business


Commercial Auto Liability

The responsibilities of owning and driving a commercial vehicle include following the financial responsibility laws under the Vehicle Code. The most common way to satisfy the financial responsibility for operating an automobile in California is by purchasing automobile liability insurance. It is important to familiarize with automobile insurance terms, so the Insured can understand what coverage the insurance company offers for his/her protection and what coverage best meets his/her needs and fulfills requirements under the law.

Commercial automobile liability insurance is financial protection for a driver who, while operating a vehicle, harms someone else or their property. Automobile liability insurance only covers injuries or damages to third parties and their property, not to the driver or the driver’s property. The two components of automobile liability insurance are bodily injury liability and property damage liability. Automobile liability insurance does not have a deductible, however some carriers can offer it. 

Our underwriters will analyze your risk and determine what carrier will provide the best coverage, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution 

Physical Damage Coverage

Physical Damage is a general term for a group of insurance coverage that protect the Insured's vehicle. This general term includes collision insurance, as well as a choice of full comprehensive insurance or the more limited Fire and Theft with additional coverage (CAC) insurance. 

Collision insurance provides protection for the Insured's vehicle if it is damaged in an accident. Collision insurance pays to repair or replace the vehicle if it:

· Collides with another object

· Overturns or rolls

Comprehensive insurance provides protection for the vehicle if it is damaged by something other than a collision with a vehicle or object, or if the vehicle is stolen.

Fire and Theft with CAC provides similar protection to that of Comprehensive insurance, except its coverage is limited to certain specific, non-collision incidents. Fire and Theft with CAC does not cover windshield claims.

Fire and Theft with CAC insurance pays to repair or replace the vehicle in case of the following, specific circumstances:

· Fire

· Theft

· Windstorms or hail

· Earthquake

· Lightning or explosion

· Flood or rising waters

· Malicious mischief or vandalism

· The stranding, sinking, burning, collision or derailment of any conveyance in or upon which your vehicle is being transported.

· Collision with an animal.

Trailer Interchange:

Trailer Interchange insurance provides Physical Damage insurance for trailers being pulled under a trailer interchange agreement. This is essentially physical damage insurance for non-owned trailers. This insurance protects the Insured if the trailer is damaged by collision, fire, theft, explosion or vandalism.

Since the exchanged trailers are not owned by the Insured, they require separate insurance coverage because they are not covered under your regular Physical Damage insurance.

If the Insured has a trailer interchange agreement, Insured needs Trailer Interchange insurance to protect the Insured while in possession of a container or unidentified trailer.

A trailer interchange agreement is a contract that arranges to transfer a trailer from one trucker to another in order to complete a shipment. Typically, the trucker in possession of the trailer is responsible for paying any damages that are incurred while they have the trailer.

With Trailer Interchange insurance, the Insured must select both a limit and a deductible. The limit is a single amount that describes how much the insurance company will pay if the Insured uses this coverage.

Ask your underwriter to explain all the differences and options, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution for your risk.

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance

Motor Truck Cargo insurance (MTC) provides insurance on the freight or commodity hauled by a For-hire trucker. It covers the trucker liability for cargo that is lost or damaged due to causes such as fire, collision, or striking of a load. 

MTC can offer additional coverage for spoilage/freezing coverage (refrigeration breakdown), debris removal, reloading, towing, traffic control and security, fire department surcharges, rewards coverage and loss data preparation coverage.

The carrier also will pay for costs related to preventing further loss to damaged cargo (Sue and Labor Coverage), legal expenses in the defense or settlement of Claims’, pollution clean up and remove coverage, owners goods extension and even freight charges the customer loses because of not delivering a load (Earned Freight Coverage).

The Insured selects a limit for Motor Truck Cargo insurance. This limit determines the maximum amount the insurance company will pay for damaged or destroyed cargo. The Insured also needs to choose a deductible. A deductible is the amount the Insured agrees to pay out of pocket when he/she has a claim.

Ask your underwriter the best coverage possible, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution for your risk. 

General Liability Insurance


Motor Truck General Liability Insurance

 A growing number of risk managers require for-hire truckers to have Motor Truck General Liability insurance. It pays for injuries or property damage a trucker causes as a result of business activities not directly related to operating a truck

Motor Truck General Liability insurance provides the following coverage:

· Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability

· Personal Injury and Advertising Injury Liability

· Medical Payments

· Products / Completed Operations (Products / Completed Operations provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage that happened as a result of delivering someone else's goods).

Motor Truck General Liability insurance may provide coverage:

· Customers slipping / falling on premises

· Erroneous delivery of products resulting in damage

· Actions of a driver while representing the insured and on the premises of others, such as, loading docks, truck stops, etc

· Libel and slander exposures

· Fire on rental property due to insured’s error

General Liability Medical Payments cover physical injuries to people that are typically not on the Insured's premises, but may become injured while on the Insured's property. If a customer is on the Insured's premises and slips and falls in the parking lot, Motor Truck General Liability insurance may provide coverage.

In order to purchase Motor Truck General Liability insurance, the Insured also needs to purchase Primary Liability coverage, which protects him/her in case of an accident. Motor Truck General Liability insurance is only available on for-hire trucking risks - if the Insured is exclusively hauling property or goods that you don’t own for a fee. If the Insured operates a business in addition to for hire trucking he/she will be ineligible for trucker's general liability. 

Our underwriters will analyze your risk and determine what carrier will provide the best coverage, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution.


Professional Liability Insurance Information


Non-Trucking Liability

Non-Trucking Liability (NTL) will cover a trucker while using his/her truck for a non-business purpose.

NTL doesn't provide liability coverage for business use or when hauling any type of cargo. Driving to and from the terminal, fueling up, traveling for maintenance or vehicle servicing, driving during layovers, dead-heading (driving without a load), and washing your truck all might be considered using the vehicle for a business purpose. These activities typically would be covered by the motor carrier's primary liability insurance.

NTL doesn't apply when the trucker is pulling a loaded trailer, operating on behalf of a trucking company or using a vehicle for any revenue generating purpose. These types of activities are covered by primary trucking liability insurance.

Non-Trucking Liability insurance is not available on policies with a FWHA Federal/ MCS-90, SR-22 or state filing.

Please contact one of our underwriters at we will contact you soon.

Garage & Garage Keepers

Garage liability insurance is specialty insurance targeted to the automotive industry.  Automobile dealerships, parking lots or parking garages operators, tow-truck operators, service stations, and customization and repair shops will add garage liability insurance to their business liability coverage. The policy protects property damage and bodily injury resulting from operations.

This insurance is not the same thing as garage-keepers coverage.

Garage liability insurance is a type of umbrella policy which provides coverage for the day-to-day operations of the businesses in the automotive industry. This insurance will add a layer of protection to the business' general liability policy. Coverage includes bodily injury and property damage from direct garage operations, not covered under most commercial or business liability insurance. 

Before buying a policy, the business owner should verify that the garage liability coverage will add to, and not merely replace, their basic business liability coverage.

Coverage will include injuries to customers while on the business grounds up to the chosen limits of the policy. Also, most garage insurance will consist of an employee dishonesty provision for theft or vandalism done by an employee of a customer's car. For an added premium, any autos used in the conducting of business, such as courtesy vans and parts delivery trucks, may be added. Additional protections can include damages from parts or products sold by the company and coverage for loss from faulty parts installed on a client's vehicle. 

Garage liability insurance will not cover the tools, building, personal or business property of the policyholder. It does not provide coverage for vandalism, stolen vehicles, or damage from events such as hail. The policy does not cover accidents or damage to the customer's cars on site for service. Also, all policy basic and additional items will have a listed maximum liability coverage amount and may have aggregate limits by claim or by year. 

Garage-keepers insurance is a separate policy which covers the property damage to a client's car while it is in the care of the policyholder. This can include damage during road test drives and while storing the vehicle during non-working hours. The keeper's insurance will cover vandalism and theft of a customer's car. Business with multiple locations require policies for each site. 

The policy clarifies that by saying, “while the insured is attending, servicing, repairing, parking or storing it in your garage operations.”

All garage-keepers intends to accomplish is to buy back the coverage lost in the care, custody or control exclusion under the liability portion of the garage form.

Garage-keepers coverage offers three options:

1. Legal Liability. This is the most common. The protection applies to a customer’s vehicle damaged due to the insured’s negligence – such as the mechanic wrecked the customer’s car while test driving it or the customer’s vehicle was left unlocked and unattended after hours.

2. Direct Primary. This form covers the customer’s vehicles regardless of liability. In a loss caused by no action of the insured such as a weather loss, or a theft although the vehicle was adequately protected, the direct primary garage-keepers pays.

3. Direct Excess. This is the rarest option, although it’s the best. The form affords protection to an insured for the loss to a customer’s vehicle regardless of liability, just as direct primary does. The difference is in the event of the insured having no liability, the form will only pay in excess of any other collectible insurance.

As always, please contact one of our underwriters at at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution for your risk.



Builders Risk

Builders risk is a specialized type of property insurance designed for buildings under construction. Also known as “course of construction" insurance, builders risk coverage begins on the policy effective date and ends when the work is completed and the property is ready for use or occupancy.

Because every construction project is different, no two builders risk policies are alike. Generally, however, most builders risk policies cover property losses due to fire, lightning, hail, explosions, hurricanes, theft, vandalism and many other risks. Earthquake, flood and wind in beach zones are usually excluded, but coverage extensions may be purchased for projects in locations that are vulnerable to these types of risks. Other standard exclusions include ordinary wear and tear, acts of terrorism and war, employee theft, rust and corrosion, mechanical breakdowns, and damage resulting from faulty design, planning, workmanship and materials.

We will take the time to work with you in analyzing each project, so we protect even the unique features for your client in their commercial, residential or renovation projects. 

* New construction

* Renovation

* Residential Construction

Please contact us for further information regarding Builders risk coverage at, we can provide proposals in minutes with our In-House authority if the risk fits under the carrier's guidelines.

Contractors Equipment

Commercial contractors equipment insurance is a broad-ranging policy designed to cover damaged or missing contracting equipment. A contractors insurance policy can extend beyond simply covering equipment; it can also cover small tools, employees’ equipment and clothing, and borrowed equipment.

In the event of a covered loss, contractors equipment coverage can even help pay for the removal of debris and cleanup after an accident. Contractors insurance also helps cover losses due to theft and can help pay the costs to expedite a project that is off schedule as the result of a covered loss.

Our Contractor's Equipment coverage is a highly flexible policy with several important options that protects your business.

Our carriers will offer two form options: 

- Automatic acquisition form: Eliminates the need to endorse the policy for schedule changes, which ensures that even your newest property is covered

- Traditional; scheduled form: Scheduled equipment.

Our underwriters will analyze your risk and determine what carrier will provide the best coverage, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution for you.

Are your customers raving about you on social media? Share their great stories to help turn potential customers into loyal ones.


Most clients need some type of property insurance. We developed our Select Business Policy (SBP) to be your go-to property coverage form because it’s adaptable to many different types of properties and industries. The wide range of flexible endorsement options allows you to customize each policy so the coverage protects what your client feels is most important or most at risk. 

We developed our Select Business Policy (SBP) to be your go-to property coverage form because it’s adaptable to many different types of properties and industries. Our broad coverage form offers a wide range of endorsements for specific industries including:

  • Condominiums
  • Contracting
  • Healthcare
  • Hotel/Motel
  • Municipalities
  • Office
  • Retail
  • Schools
  • Wholesale Distribution

Ask your underwriter to explain all the differences and options, please contact us at so we can discuss further and find the best insurance solution for your risk. 

Customers have questions, you have answers. Display the most frequently asked questions, so everybody benefits.